Everyday Misogyny

 Names of certain individuals have been changed to hide their identity.

Example 1

"I want to marry someone who has never been in a relationship in her life," proclaimed Tommy.

"Don't you have like 7 ex-girlfriends?" I asked.

"Yeah, so?"

"Nothing..."

Example 2

"I don't like that girl (who I've never talked to) anymore," said Tommy. "Her dress showed too much upper arm. Hideous."

"Dude, you do realise that you're wearing bright red pants while handing out fashion advice?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Nothing..."

Example 3

"You should marry soon. A wife would take care of all of your problems at home."

Yes, clearly expecting someone to give up all her dreams to sort my shit out seems reasonable.

Example 4 

"Bro, I need you to find a girl for me," said David.

"Seriously?!" I asked, wondering if he'd mistaken me for someone else.

"And she needs to be from the same caste."

"So you're looking for marriage?"

"Hell no, I just want to go out on a date."

"I think I'll get back to you sometime in the next century."

Example 5

Reaction to boy bunking class - "Ah well, what can you expect really."

Reaction to girl bunking class - "What an outrageously disgraceful act! Her parents should be ashamed. Despicable."

Example 6

Any conversation in which spousal abuse is normalized or condoned.

Example 7

"There was this girl I knew close to my old home," said Kevin. "She was so ugly, you wouldn't believe it. She was hideously fat and her skin colour was as dark as my hair."

Thankfully, I never spoke to Kevin in my life ever again.

Example 8

Any conversation in which accepting dowry is normalized or condoned.

Example 9

"She should be married off as soon as possible before it's too late," said the venerable old lady.

"Isn't she like 23? Do you really think she is ready for that kind of responsibility?"

"Shut up you stupid idiot Mehul!"

"Okay..."

Example 10

Any rule designed to ensure the safety of women which comes at the cost of them having fewer liberties compared to men. 

Example 11-Infinity

Any day you work in a Government hospital where you will inevitably see women with physical and/or mental scars from abuse at the hands of their husband/some other male relative.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Superhero I've Ever Known

Self-Belief is Uncommon

In his time of dying